2019 Nissan Altima: The Ultimate Comprehensive Review
The 2019 Nissan Altima is a significant model in the Altima lineup, offering a refreshed design and cutting-edge features that cater to the modern driver. In this comprehensive review, we’ll dive into the details of this popular midsize sedan and discover what sets it apart from its competitors. We will explore its exterior and interior design, engine options, trim levels, safety features, and more. By the end, you’ll have a thorough understanding of the 2019 Nissan Altima and whether it’s the right car for you.
2019 Nissan Altima Exterior Design
The 2019 Nissan Altima boasts a striking new platform design, showcasing an elegant and aggressive appearance that instantly sets it apart from its predecessors. The sleek lines, V-motion grille, and floating roof design create a cohesive and eye-catching look that exudes both style and sophistication.
Measuring 192.9 inches in length, 72.9 inches in width, and 56.8 inches in height, the 2019 Nissan Altima is larger than its previous generations. The added dimensions allow for increased interior space and improved handling, while the lightweight, high-strength steel used in its construction helps reduce weight and enhance fuel efficiency.
LED headlights and taillights come standard on the 2019 Nissan Altima, providing a modern, upscale appearance and excellent visibility in various driving conditions. Additionally, the Altima features available 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, a power sliding glass moonroof, and heated outside mirrors for added convenience and style.
The 2019 Nissan Altima’s interior design emphasizes space, comfort, and technology, providing a pleasant and relaxing environment for both driver and passengers. The increased dimensions translate to ample headroom, legroom, and shoulder room in both the front and rear seats, ensuring a comfortable ride for everyone on board.
Seating options in the 2019 Nissan Altima include standard cloth seats or available leather-appointed seats, depending on the trim level. Drivers can also enjoy available features such as heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and a power-adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support for maximum comfort.
The infotainment and connectivity features in the 2019 Nissan Altima are designed to keep drivers and passengers entertained and connected on the go. The NissanConnect system offers an 8-inch touchscreen display with available navigation, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto compatibility, ensuring seamless integration with your smartphone. Sound system options include a standard 6-speaker system or the available premium 9-speaker Bose audio system, delivering crisp and clear audio throughout the cabin.
Storage and cargo capacity in the 2019 Nissan Altima are also impressive, with 15.4 cubic feet of trunk space and 60/40 split-folding rear seats that provide additional flexibility for carrying larger items.
2019 Nissan Altima Engine and Performance
Two engine options are available for the 2019 Nissan Altima, providing drivers with the choice between fuel efficiency and performance. The standard 2.5L 4-cylinder engine produces 188 horsepower and 180 lb-ft of torque, offering a balanced blend of power and fuel economy. For those seeking a more exhilarating driving experience, the 2.0L VC-Turbo engine generates 248 horsepower and 273 lb-ft of torque, delivering a noticeable boost in performance.
All 2019 Nissan Altima models come equipped with an Xtronic Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) that smoothly adapts to changing driving conditions for optimal efficiency and performance. Additionally, the Altima offers the option of an Intelligent All-Wheel Drive system, providing improved traction and handling in various weather conditions.
Fuel efficiency is a strong suit for the 2019 Nissan Altima, with the 2.5L engine achieving an EPA-estimated 28 mpg city and 39 mpg highway. The more powerful 2.0L VC-Turbo engine still offers competitive fuel efficiency, rated at 25 mpg city and 34 mpg highway.
The suspension and handling of the 2019 Nissan Altima have been refined to provide a smooth, comfortable ride with precise steering and cornering abilities. The sedan’s new platform, combined with its independent front and rear suspension, contributes to a more responsive and controlled driving experience.
In terms of braking and safety features, the 2019 Nissan Altima comes equipped with 4-wheel anti-lock disc brakes and Electronic Brake Force Distribution, ensuring reliable stopping power in various driving situations. Additionally, the Altima offers an array of advanced safety technologies, which we will discuss in more detail in the following sections.
2019 Nissan Altima Trim Levels and Pricing
The 2019 Nissan Altima is available in five primary trim levels: S, SR, SV, SL, and Platinum. There is also a limited-production Edition ONE trim, which offers unique design elements and exclusive features. Here, we’ll provide an overview of each trim level and their respective pricing:
- Starting Price: $24,000 (estimated)
- Key Features: 8-inch touchscreen display, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto, RearView Monitor, Remote Engine Start, Automatic Emergency Braking
- Starting Price: $25,100 (estimated)
- Key Features: 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, sport-tuned suspension, paddle shifters, LED headlights, Blind Spot Warning
- Starting Price: $28,080 (estimated)
- Key Features: ProPILOT Assist, Nissan Safety Shield 360, power sliding glass moonroof, dual-zone automatic temperature control, adaptive cruise control
- Starting Price: $29,990 (estimated)
- Key Features: Leather-appointed seats, Bose premium audio system, navigation, heated front seats and steering wheel, traffic sign recognition
- Starting Price: $31,930 (estimated)
- Key Features: 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, Intelligent Around View Monitor, interior accent lighting, power-adjustable passenger seat, a memory system for driver’s seat and outside mirrors
- Starting Price: $35,750 (estimated)
- Key Features: Exclusive 19-inch dark gray aluminum-alloy wheels, rear spoiler, ground lighting, Edition ONE Nissan Concierge Service, unique badging and accents
Pricing and value for each trim level varies depending on your preferences and needs, but each offers a competitive set of features and technologies that cater to different drivers.
Safety is a top priority in the 2019 Nissan Altima, and the sedan offers a comprehensive suite of advanced safety technologies designed to protect both occupants and pedestrians. The Nissan Safety Shield 360 encompasses a variety of safety features, including:
- Automatic Emergency Braking: This feature helps prevent frontal collisions by detecting potential obstacles and applying the brakes if necessary.
- Rear Automatic Braking: Similar to the front system, this feature detects objects behind the vehicle and applies the brakes to prevent a collision.
- Lane Departure Warning: Alerts the driver if the vehicle begins to drift out of its lane without a turn signal.
- Blind Spot Warning: Warns the driver of vehicles in their blind spot, helping to prevent potential accidents during lane changes.
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert: Alerts the driver of approaching vehicles when reversing out of a parking space.
- High Beam Assist: Automatically switches between high and low beams based on traffic conditions, ensuring optimal visibility without blinding other drivers.
The 2019 Nissan Altima also offers the available ProPILOT Assist system, which provides semi-autonomous driving assistance on highways. ProPILOT Assist helps maintain a set speed and distance from the vehicle ahead while keeping the Altima centered in its lane, reducing driver fatigue on long journeys.
Additional safety features in the 2019 Nissan Altima include an advanced airbag system, consisting of dual-stage front airbags, front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and roof-mounted curtain side-impact airbags for both front and rear outboard occupants. The Altima also features a Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) system, ensuring the secure and easy installation of compatible child safety seats.
Competitors and Comparisons
The midsize sedan market is highly competitive, with several models vying for customers’ attention. Here, we’ll compare the 2019 Nissan Altima with some of its key competitors:
2019 Honda Accord
- Similarities: Both sedans offer spacious interiors, advanced safety features, and competitive fuel efficiency.
- Differences: The 2019 Honda Accord has a more extensive range of engine options, including a hybrid variant. However, the Altima offers available all-wheel drive, which is not an option on the Accord.
2019 Toyota Camry
- Similarities: Both vehicles provide a comfortable ride, advanced safety technologies, and similar engine options.
- Differences: The Toyota Camry features a more aggressive exterior design, while the Altima offers available all-wheel drive and the innovative VC-Turbo engine.
- Similarities: Both sedans emphasize style, comfort, and driving dynamics, offering a sporty alternative in the midsize sedan segment.
- Differences: The Mazda6 features a more engaging driving experience, but the Altima offers a more extensive suite of safety features and available all-wheel drive.
2019 Chevrolet Malibu
- Similarities: Both vehicles offer spacious interiors, competitive fuel efficiency, and a range of trim levels to cater to different buyers.
- Differences: The Chevrolet Malibu offers a hybrid powertrain option, but the Altima boasts a more stylish exterior design and more advanced safety features.
Each of these competitors has its strengths and weaknesses, but the 2019 Nissan Altima stands out with its combination of style, performance, and advanced safety features.
Pros and Cons
The 2019 Nissan Altima has several notable advantages and a few drawbacks worth considering:
- Comfortable and spacious interior: The Altima offers ample room for passengers, ensuring a relaxing and enjoyable ride.
- Smooth ride and handling: The sedan’s refined suspension and handling dynamics make for a comfortable and controlled driving experience.
- Advanced safety features: The Nissan Safety Shield 360 and ProPILOT Assist systems provide an extra layer of protection and convenience on the road.
- Competitive fuel efficiency: With EPA-estimated fuel efficiency of up to 28 mpg city and 39 mpg highway, the Altima is an economical choice in the midsize sedan segment.
- Limited engine options: While the available engines are competent, some competitors offer a wider range of powertrains, including hybrid options.
- Base trim’s limited features: The entry-level Altima S trim lacks some desirable features, such as heated seats and advanced driver assistance technologies.
In summary, the 2019 Nissan Altima is a stylish, comfortable, and technologically advanced midsize sedan that offers a compelling blend of performance, efficiency, and safety. Its spacious interior, smooth ride, and cutting-edge safety features make it an appealing choice for families and commuters alike.
While the limited engine options and base trim’s features may be a drawback for some buyers, the 2019 Nissan Altima’s overall package remains competitive within the midsize sedan market. It’s available all-wheel drive and innovative VC-Turbo engine set it apart from many of its competitors, offering a unique combination of features that cater to a wide range of drivers.
In our opinion, the 2019 Nissan Altima is a strong contender in its segment, providing an enjoyable driving experience, modern technology, and advanced safety features that make it a solid choice for those seeking a reliable, stylish, and comfortable vehicle. If you’re in the market for a midsize sedan, the 2019 Nissan Altima should be on your shortlist of vehicles to consider.
In closing, the 2019 Nissan Altima has much to offer for drivers seeking a well-rounded, attractive, and safety-focused midsize sedan. Its blend of style, performance, and advanced safety features make it a compelling option for a wide range of buyers. Test drive one today to experience the unique qualities that set the 2019 Nissan Altima apart from its competition.