The 2004 model year saw the launch of the Golf R32, a rally-inspired car, and the 2023 Volkswagen Golf R trim levels build on that tradition of subtle performance. Twenty years later, Volkswagen’s performance halo enters its fifth edition, upping the ante with additional race-inspired content and luxury amenities.
2023 Volkswagen Golf R Explained
The Mk8 Golf R’s deliberate but understated design language emphasizes its status as a top-tier performance vehicle while staying away from flashy aesthetics that does not advance engineering. Despite its performance potential, the 2023 Golf R is suitable for everyday driving and feels as at home in the school bus lane as it does on the racetrack.
Even while the Mk8 Golf R’s design makes it evident that it is intended for racing, its interior skillfully strikes a balance between enthusiast-focused amenities and cutting-edge technology while still being cozy and useful.
The internal capacity is generous, at 91.1 cu ft, and the 19.9 cu ft of baggage space is comparable to that of midsize cars. The 60:40 split backrest may be folded to provide an almost flat cargo area of 34.5 cu-ft, which is large enough to hold a full-size bicycle, travel bags, and other large items. These features increase the load space’s adaptability.
2023 Volkswagem Golf R Trim Levels
Two trim levels of the 2023 Volkswagen Golf R are offered: the standard Golf R from the previous model year and a 20th Anniversary Edition Golf R with a limited run. The Mk8 Golf R gets modest visual modifications after a complete redesign for 2022.
The Golf R from 2023 is a whole new breed of Golf. The Mk8 Golf R is not just the most formidable production Golf ever; it also sets the performance bar for the whole Volkswagen lineup. The Mk8 Golf R’s 2.0-liter turbo and direct-injection engine is produced at a cutting-edge facility in Hungary and belongs to the most recent, fourth-generation EA888 engine family.
The EA888 evo4 engine in a Golf R delivers 315 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque on models with a DSG transmission and 315 hp and 280 lb-ft on versions with a manual transmission.
A six-speed manual gearbox or an available seven-speed DSG automatic gearbox with Tiptronic is both compatible with the evo4 engine. For the first time since the DSG was introduced, whether the driver selects “Special” or “Drift” driving mode, the gearbox will remain in manual mode. The DSG gearbox has a launch control function as well as a fuel-saving Start-Stop System.
2023 Volkswagen Golf R Standard Features
Let’s discuss the 2023 Volkswagen Golf R trim levels, MSRP, and standard features now, beginning with the entry-level model, which has a starting MSRP of $44,290.
Golf R – $44,290
- 0L 16-valve DOHC turbocharged 4-cylinder engine
- 4MOTION AWD w/ Active Control & Driving Mode Selection
- 6-speed manual transmission
- Blue painted brake calipers with R logo on front calipers
- Multimode DCC and Adaptive Chassis Control
- Driving Mode Selection including “Drift” and “Special” Race modes
- Sport suspension
- XDS Cross Differential System
- 19″ alloy wheels w/ summer performance tires
- Automatic, LED headlights & LED Daytime Running Lights
- Power heated, foldable, side mirrors w/memory & passenger-side tilt function
- LED taillights
- Matte chrome exterior mirror housings
- Power tilting & sliding panoramic sunroof
- Rain-sensing, variable intermittent front wipers
- 12-way power adjustable driver seat
- Power recline passenger seat
- Auto-dimming interior rearview mirror
- Climatronic Touch three-zone automatic climate control w/ advanced air filter
- Ventilated front sport seats
- Heated 1st and 2nd-row seats
- Leather seating surfaces
- Leather-wrapped sports heated multi-function steering wheel
- Multi-color adjustable ambient lighting
- 60/40 split-folding rear seat w/ center armrest & pass-through
- Stainless steel pedal caps
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Blind Spot Monitor w/Rear Traffic Alert
- 10″ touchscreen navigation & AM/FM/HD Radio
- Dynamic Road Sign Display
- Front Assist Forward Collision Warning & Autonomous Emergency Braking w/ Pedestrian & Cyclist Monitoring
- Harman Kardon premium audio system
- Head-Up Display
- Keyless access with push-button start/stop
- Light Assist (High Beam Control for headlights)
- Park Assist w/ Park Distance Control, front & rear
- SiriusXM (3-month trial subscription)
- Travel Assist (semi-automated driving assistance)
- Lane Assist (Lane Keeping System)
- 4 USB-C ports
- VW Digital Cockpit Pro with 10.25″ digital instrument display
- Wireless charging
- Rear View Camera System
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Golf R 20th Anniversary Edition – $44,940
The Golf R 20th Anniversary Edition trim level has an MSRP of $44,940. The Golf R 20th Anniversary Edition deletes the sunroof but adds:
- 19″ gloss black multi-spoke alloy wheel w/ summer performance tires
- Side Mirror caps in accent color
- Blue “R” logo on grille, rear hatch, and fenders
- “20 Years” logo on B-Pillars
- “20 Years” mirror puddle light projection
- Genuine carbon fiber interior trim
- Steering wheel clasp with blue “R” logo
2023 Volkswagen Golf R Trim Levels: Which One to Buy?
As for which 2023 Volkswagen Golf R trim level to buy, while there is a 20th Anniversary Edition, you don’t have to waste any time deciding which Golf R is right for you because there’s technically just one trim level. As much as I like the manual transmission, I advise that you get the optional seven-speed dual-clutch automatic for its lightning-quick gear changes and intelligent shift programming. And the golf R makes 15 lb-ft of torque more with the automatic transmission.
Lastly, let’s go over the paint colors for the 2023 Volkswagen Golf R trim levels. There are 3 available colors.
- Lapiz Blue
- Deep Black
- Pure White
2023 Volkswagen Golf R Picture Gallery
Okay, that’s it. I’m going to wrap this up. I went over the MSRP, standard features, which trim level to buy, and the paint colors for the 2023 Volkswagen Golf R trim levels. If you found this video helpful, informative, or entertaining, please like, share, and subscribe to my channel. Thanks for watching.