2024 Volkswagen Taos: Compact Elegance Meets Advanced Technology
The 2024 Volkswagen Taos emerges as a beacon in the compact SUV segment, showcasing a striking exterior coupled with a meticulously crafted interior. Positioned to be a more affordable and compact alternative to the Tiguan, the 2024 Volkswagen Taos promises to deliver Volkswagen’s renowned driving experience, exceptional quality, and thoughtfully designed packaging without the hefty price tag.
What’s New in the 2024 Volkswagen Taos?
For those eager to explore the latest offerings, the 2024 Volkswagen Taos is available in a choice of three distinct trim levels: S, SE, and SEL. A standout feature in this year’s model is the standard inclusion of the IQ.DRIVE driver assistance technology across all trims. Moreover, drivers can expect enhanced aesthetics with augmented interior stitching prevalent in all three variants.
Detailed Trim Enhancements
- S Trim: The 2024 Volkswagen Taos opens its lineup with the S trim, which, though entry-level, is brimming with impressive features. Among the highlights are the innovative Light Assist, ensuring safe night drives, rain-sensing wipers for optimal visibility in unpredictable weather, and the added touch of luxury with a heated, leatherette-wrapped steering wheel, elevating the driving experience.
- SE Trim: Moving up the ladder brings you to the SE trim, a model that seamlessly blends function with flair. Inside, the advanced dual-zone Climatronic automatic climate control ensures both the driver and passengers enjoy their desired comfort levels. But the SE doesn’t stop there. Later in the year, anticipate the arrival of the exclusive SE Black package. This edition is bound to turn heads, boasting a sleek black roof, matching wheels, and blackout design elements that emanate a sense of refined elegance.
- SEL Trim: The pinnacle of the 2024 Volkswagen Taos trims is the SEL. This trim encapsulates luxury, offering a dynamic driving experience with its 4MOTION AWD and 7-speed DSG automatic transmission. On the outside, the SEL showcases adaptive front lighting, integrated light bars, and a panoramic sunroof, setting it apart in the SUV segment. The interior is no less opulent with ambient lighting, leather seating, and state-of-the-art tech features like the Volkswagen Digital Cockpit Pro. Furthermore, safety and security are at the forefront with the inclusion of Park Distance Control and an anti-theft alarm system, making the SEL the ultimate choice for those who seek the best in both luxury and functionality.
Pricing for the 2024 Volkswagen Taos
For those looking to make the 2024 Volkswagen Taos their own, the starting MSRP is set at an attractive $23,995. Additionally, the destination fee is pegged at $1,350.
Exterior – A Fusion of Bold Design and Precision Engineering
The 2024 Volkswagen Taos, built on Volkswagen’s acclaimed MQB platform, showcases an exterior that seamlessly merges design flair with meticulous engineering. Drawing inspiration from the Volkswagen family, from the Golf to the Atlas, the Taos holds its unique place in the compact SUV spectrum.
Dimensions and Build
Positioned comfortably in the mid-range of entry-compact SUVs, the 2024 Volkswagen Taos is a perfect fit for those seeking agility combined with space. Measuring 175.8 inches in length, it’s notably more compact than the Tiguan by 9.3 inches. The front-wheel-drive version boasts a 105.9-inch wheelbase, a width of 72.5 inches, and a height of 64.4 inches. Opting for the all-wheel-drive variant, you’ll find a slightly shorter 105.5-inch wheelbase, the same width, but an elevated height of 65.1 inches.
Front Design Dynamics
The Taos takes pride in its audacious front design, reminiscent of the Volkswagen SUV lineage. With a sculpted hood and an expansive three-bar grille echoing the Atlas Cross Sport, its identity is distinct. The LED light signature on the top trims and a pronounced front bumper, complemented by side air intakes and black detailing, ensure a commanding presence on the road. Ensuring visibility and style, LED headlights, Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), and taillights come standard across all models. The premium SEL trim goes a step further, flaunting LED projector headlights with an Adaptive Front-lighting System and an illuminated light line akin to the ID.4 electric SUV.
Side and Rear Profile
The side profile of the 2024 Volkswagen Taos is unmistakably Volkswagen. A powerful character line draws parallels with the Tiguan, while the distinct squared-off wheel arches pay homage to the Atlas. Practicality meets aesthetics with standard roof rails – the S model features black roof rails and side mirrors, while the SE and SEL variants sport silver roof rails and body-colored side mirrors. Wheel designs vary across models, with the S FWD on 17-inch aluminum alloys, S AWD on 18-inch alloys, and the SEL AWD proudly displaying 19-inch wheels. The rear view is equally captivating, with LED taillights focusing attention on the centrally positioned Taos branding and a rugged black bumper detailed in silver.
Color, Wheel Designs, and Optional Features
With eight vibrant colors to pick from, personalizing the 2024 Volkswagen Taos is a delight. An optional panoramic sunroof adds a touch of luxury to the SE and comes as a standard for the SEL models. As part of a mid-cycle refresh, the SE Black package, available later, promises to enthrall with a black roof, A-pillars, mirror caps, and a spoiler, accentuated by darkened exterior elements. The package is rounded off with LED projector headlights, a light bar, and depending on the drive type, either 18-inch or 19-inch black wheels.
Interior: A Blend of Comfort, Technology, and Elegance
Space and Dimensions
Boasting an impressive 99.5 cubic feet of passenger space, the Taos makes no compromises on comfort. It offers just slightly less space than the two-row Tiguan. Front-wheel-drive variants provide 27.9 cu ft of luggage space, expanding to 65.9 cu ft with the rear seats folded. Meanwhile, the all-wheel-drive models offer 24.9 cu ft, which can be extended to 60.2 cu ft by folding the second row. This ensures ample legroom, with 40.1 inches at the front and a comfortable 37.9 inches at the rear.
Dashboard and Cockpit Design
Reflecting the signature Volkswagen design ethos, the Taos features a modern two-level dashboard. The upper level integrates functional elements, including the air vents and the standard Volkswagen Digital Cockpit, while the lower level adds a touch of luxury with its soft-touch surface, extending to the door panels.
Colors, Materials, and Stitching
The interior palette boasts a range of elegant colors. S models come with gray and black two-tone seats, while the SE offers a choice between gray or black. The SEL stands out with its neutral gray and black two-tone or the sumptuous French Roast and black combination. Enhanced stitching for the 2024 model adds a touch of opulence across all trims.
Seating and Lighting
Seat designs vary across trims. While the S models feature cloth seats, the SE boasts CloudTex and cloth surfaces, and the SEL impresses with leather seating. The SEL’s 10-color LED ambient lighting system coordinates with the Driving Mode Selection, offering white, red, or blue light, depending on the profile.
Comfort and Convenience
The 2024 Volkswagen Taos comes packed with features designed for maximum comfort. From automatic headlights, and rain-sensing wipers, to the KESSY-Go push-button start, every journey is a pleasure. The SE and SEL trims further elevate the experience with additions like dual-zone Climatronic automatic climate control, an 8-way power driver seat, heated seats, and more.
Infotainment and Connectivity
Stay connected on the go with Taos’s advanced infotainment system. The S trim comes with the MIB2 Composition Color unit, featuring a 6.5-inch touchscreen. In contrast, the SE and SEL are equipped with the MIB3 system with an 8-inch display, with the SEL also offering navigation. Wireless App-Connect, Bluetooth technology, and multiple USB-C ports ensure you’re always in sync.
Digital Cockpit and Sound Systems
The cutting-edge Volkswagen Digital Cockpit, standard on all Taos models, offers a fully digital instrument display. Depending on the trim, drivers can enjoy an 8-inch or 10.25-inch display with multiple views and customization options. Music aficionados will appreciate the BeatsAudio system in the SEL trim, delivering crisp sound through eight speakers and a subwoofer.
Advanced Technology Features in the 2024 Volkswagen Taos
SiriusXM with 360L
Experience a new dimension of audio entertainment with SiriusXM with 360L in your Volkswagen Taos. This advanced platform integrates satellite and streaming content to offer a holistic in-vehicle entertainment journey. With its personalized “For You” recommendations, listeners can discover more tailored content. It’s enhanced sports play-by-play offering, individual listener profiles, and other features ensure that entertainment is always at your fingertips.
Volkswagen Car-Net: Connectivity at its Best
Since its introduction in 2014, Volkswagen Car-Net has continuously evolved to keep Volkswagen owners connected with their vehicles.
With Car-Net Remote Access, vehicle owners can interact with their Taos from a distance using the myVW mobile app. This free service for five years offers features like remote start, door lock and unlock, remote honk, and even finding the last parked location.
Amazon Alexa Integration
Modernize your vehicle interaction with the VW Car-Net skills for Amazon AlexaTM. This feature enables owners to use voice commands from their homes. Imagine asking Alexa to honk your Taos’s horn!
Navigation and Parking Information
For those equipped with factory-installed navigation systems, Car-Net offers off-street parking information and direct destination sending from the app. This feature, powered by ParkopediaTM, provides details on parking locations, operational hours, and even pricing.
Vehicle Health Reports and Service Reminders
Stay updated with your vehicle’s health with automatic monthly Vehicle Health Reports sent directly to your email. Additionally, Car-Net will notify you when it’s time for scheduled service and even assist in scheduling a dealer visit.
Family Guardian and Roadside Call Assist
With Family Guardian services, owners can set speed alerts, virtual boundary alerts, and more, ensuring peace of mind. The Roadside Call Assist feature offers assistance at the touch of a button in case the vehicle gets disabled.
Safe & Secure Features
Car-Net Safe & Secure ensures a safer driving experience with features like Emergency Assistance, Information Assistance, Automatic Crash Notification, Anti-Theft Alert, and Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance.
Stay connected on the go with the Car-Net Hotspot. This feature allows passengers to access the internet with up to four devices at 4G LTE speed. Plus, with Volkswagen’s Carrier of Choice initiative, you can select a data plan from Verizon or T-Mobile or integrate your Volkswagen with your existing plan.
Enhanced Navigation and Infotainment
The Car-Net Hotspot also offers annual subscription packages for MY24 VW owners with an MIB3 infotainment system. This includes the Plus Nav package for online map updates and traffic reports, the Plus Speech package for advanced voice controls, and the Plus Online Radio Package for unlimited internet radio access. Additionally, enjoy media streaming apps like iHeartRadioTM and TIDALTM.
Power and Performance of the 2024 Volkswagen Taos
The heart of the Taos is its 1.5-liter EA211 turbocharged four-cylinder engine. Delivering a robust 158 horsepower and a torque of 184 pound-feet, this engine integrates several state-of-the-art features to guarantee remarkable fuel efficiency. One of the engine’s notable innovations is Volkswagen’s adaptation of the Miller cycle, which closes the intake valves early during the induction stroke, optimizing fuel economy. This turbocharged engine also boasts an impressive compression ratio of up to 11.5 to one.
Key Technological Features
Several advanced features complement the engine’s performance:
- APS-coated cylinder liners: This involves a plasma coating of iron powder on the cylinder block, reducing friction and enhancing efficiency.
- Map-controlled cooling module: This module ensures quicker engine warming and can control water flow across different engine parts for optimal temperature regulation.
- Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG): A pioneering feature in the North American Region, VTG enhances turbocharger efficiency, delivers higher boost pressures, and eliminates the need for a wastegate mass flow.
- Advanced fuel injection system: With a pressure of up to 350 bar, this system ensures efficient fuel atomization, shortened injection times, and reduced particulate emissions.
Collectively, these technologies ensure a blend of torque at lower speeds and remarkable fuel economy.
Transmission and Fuel Efficiency
For front-wheel-drive models, the engine pairs with an eight-speed automatic transmission, featuring a Sport mode, delivering EPA-estimated fuel efficiency of 28 mpg in the city, 36 mpg on highways, and a combined 31 mpg.
In contrast, the Taos 4Motion all-wheel-drive models are equipped with a 7-speed DSG® dual-clutch automatic transmission, with EPA-estimated ratings of 24 mpg city, 32 mpg highway, and a combined 27 mpg.
Driving Mode Selection
AWD models come standard with Driving Mode Selection, offering three tailored modes: “Normal,” “Sport,” and “Individual.” These modes modify steering, throttle response, and shifting patterns, optimizing the driving experience.
4Motion All-Wheel-Drive System
Volkswagen’s 4Motion with Active Control is available across all Taos models. This state-of-the-art all-wheel-drive system is engineered to preemptively activate before any wheel spin occurs, ensuring optimal traction.
Active Control empowers drivers to pick vehicle profiles based on driving conditions. It provides four settings: Onroad, Snow, Offroad, and Custom Offroad, each tweaking the car’s behavior to suit different terrains and driving preferences. Whether it’s adjusting the throttle, transmission, or steering, or activating features like Hill Descent Assist, Active Control ensures the Taos is always ready for the road ahead.
The powertrain and technological features of the 2024 Volkswagen Taos ensure a seamless driving experience, no matter the terrain or conditions. It stands as a testament to Volkswagen’s commitment to innovation and performance.
The 2024 Volkswagen Taos Chassis: A Blend of Strength and Innovation
The engineering prowess of the 2024 Volkswagen Taos is encapsulated in its advanced chassis design, utilizing the latest in automotive technology to ensure a strong, lightweight, and agile driving experience.
MQB Chassis Architecture
At the core of Taos’s structural design is the MQB chassis architecture, a hallmark of many vehicles in the Volkswagen family. This modular architecture ensures not only consistent performance and safety across models but also facilitates the incorporation of cutting-edge technologies.
Construction and Welding Techniques
One of the standout techniques used in the construction of the Taos is the laser clamp welder. This innovative technology produces distinctive “wobble seam” welds in a wave pattern, maximizing strength within a compact space, ensuring the chassis’s robustness.
Material and Composition
The choice of materials in the Taos’s construction plays a pivotal role in its performance and safety. The body and chassis predominantly comprise high-strength, hot-formed steel. The introduction of ultra-high-strength steels enables the use of thinner and lighter components without compromising on strength or safety. The result is a vehicle that is both lightweight and structurally resilient.
Suspension and Braking
The Taos is equipped with a strut-type front suspension. However, depending on the drive model, the rear suspension varies:
- AWD models: Feature a sophisticated multilink rear suspension setup, ensuring superior handling and ride comfort.
- FWD models: Are equipped with a torsion beam rear suspension, providing a balance of performance and cost-effectiveness.
To ensure rapid and effective stopping power, the Taos boasts 12.3-inch ventilated front disc brakes and 10.7-inch solid rear disc brakes. This combination guarantees reliable braking performance under various driving conditions.
The chassis of the 2024 Volkswagen Taos represents a masterclass in automotive engineering, reflecting Volkswagen’s commitment to innovation, safety, and driving pleasure.
Volkswagen Taos 2024: Safety and Driver Assistance Features
Volkswagen’s commitment to safety and driver convenience is evident in the 2024 Taos, which blends traditional safety mechanisms with innovative driver assistance technology to offer a comprehensive protective environment for both the driver and passengers.
Passive Safety Systems
At the foundation of Taos’s safety features are six standard airbags (encompassing front, side, and side curtain airbags) coupled with essential electronic safety systems like the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Electronic Stability Control (ESC). Every Taos model also comes equipped with a standard rearview camera, ensuring clear visibility while reversing.
Collision Prevention and Post-Collision Response
Understanding that a collision isn’t just a singular event, Volkswagen introduced the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System. This feature springs into action after a primary collision, applying the brakes to minimize further damage from subsequent impacts. Further enhancing post-accident safety, the Intelligent Crash Response System takes necessary actions like fuel pump shutdown, unlocking doors, and hazard light activation.
IQ.DRIVE: Advanced Driver Assistance Technology
IQ.DRIVE exemplifies Volkswagen’s advancements in semi-automated driving support. From highway driving with lane centering to obstacle alerts in urban settings, IQ.DRIVE is designed to enhance driving safety and convenience.
- Travel Assist: Offers semi-automated driving assistance, ensuring the vehicle remains centered within lane markings while adjusting speed based on traffic conditions.
- Front Assist: Provides warnings for potential frontal collisions and even auto-brakes when needed, also detecting pedestrians.
- Blind Spot Monitor: Alerts the driver about vehicles in blind spots, ensuring safer lane changes.
- Rear Traffic Alert: Assists in detecting vehicles approaching from the side while reversing.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC): Maintains a set speed and distance from the vehicle ahead.
- Lane Assist: Ensures the vehicle remains within its lane, providing countersteering when necessary.
- Emergency Assist: Detects driver inactivity and safely brings the vehicle to a stop.
Additional Assistance Systems
Beyond IQ.DRIVE, the Taos offers:
- Park Distance Control: Utilizes ultrasonic sensors to aid in parking, providing guidance for tight spaces.
- Maneuver Braking: Helps in preventing collisions with static obstacles at low speeds.
- Dynamic Road Sign Display: Detects and displays road signs in real time.
- Light Assist: Automatically adjusts headlamp beams based on road conditions and oncoming traffic.
Enhanced Driving Experience with Active Control
All Taos models equipped with 4Motion all-wheel drive boast the Active Control feature. This system allows drivers to select specific vehicle profiles based on driving conditions, ensuring optimized performance for various terrains and scenarios.
Park Assist and Navigation Enhancement
- Park Distance Control: This feature, standard on SEL trims, uses ultrasonic sensors to provide guidance when parking, especially in tight spots.
- Dynamic Road Sign Display: Available on SEL trims, this system detects and displays road signs, ensuring the driver is always informed.
- Light Assist: Ensuring clear visibility, this feature, standard on SEL trims, automatically adjusts the headlamp beams depending on the road conditions.
The 2024 Volkswagen Taos is a testament to Volkswagen’s dedication to safety, blending traditional protective measures with state-of-the-art driver assistance systems, ensuring a secure and pleasurable driving experience.
Volkswagen Taos 2024: Warranty & Maintenance Details
The 2024 Volkswagen Taos not only promises a blend of performance and style but also provides assurance to its owners in the form of its comprehensive warranty and maintenance programs. Volkswagen ensures that Taos owners can enjoy their vehicles with peace of mind, knowing they are backed by robust after-sales support.
New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Every 2024 Taos is backed by a robust bumper-to-bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Key details of this warranty include:
- Duration: The warranty is valid for a period of four years or 50,000 miles, depending on which milestone is reached first.
- Transferability: One of the standout features of this warranty is its transferability. If you decide to sell your Taos within the warranty period, the remaining warranty benefits can be passed on to the next owner, ensuring continued peace of mind and potentially enhancing the vehicle’s resale value.
Carefree Maintenance Program
In addition to the warranty, Volkswagen offers the Carefree Maintenance Program for the 2024 Taos. Here’s what owners can expect:
- Coverage: The program covers scheduled maintenance services for the initial two years or the first 20,000 miles of the vehicle’s life, depending on which comes first.
- Cost: Owners can take advantage of this program at no additional charge, making regular vehicle upkeep hassle-free and economical.
- Transferability: Similar to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the benefits of the Carefree Maintenance Program can be transferred to a subsequent owner for the remaining duration. This feature underscores Volkswagen’s commitment to providing value not just to the first owner but also to subsequent owners of the Taos.
With the combined assurance of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and the Carefree Maintenance Program, Volkswagen demonstrates its dedication to quality and customer satisfaction. Owners of the 2024 Taos can drive confidently, knowing they are supported by a brand that stands firmly behind its products.
Competitive Set Analysis: Volkswagen Taos vs. Jeep Compass vs. Subaru Crosstrek
The Volkswagen Taos, Jeep Compass, and Subaru Crosstrek are all compact SUVs that cater to a similar market segment. Let’s delve into a comparative analysis of these models to understand how they stack up against each other in terms of key attributes and features.
Design & Aesthetics
- Volkswagen Taos: The Taos boasts a modern and sleek design, typical of Volkswagen’s understated elegance. It features sharp lines, a bold front grille, and LED lighting that adds to its contemporary appeal.
- Jeep Compass: The Compass carries the traditional Jeep design DNA, characterized by its seven-slot grille and rugged appeal. Its design is a blend of urban sophistication and off-road ruggedness.
- Subaru Crosstrek: The Crosstrek offers a balanced design that merges functionality with style. It has the classic Subaru look with bold wheel arches and a rugged stance, making it suitable for both city drives and off-road adventures.
Performance & Powertrain
- Volkswagen Taos: Powered by a 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine, the Taos offers a balance of performance and efficiency with 158 horsepower.
- Jeep Compass: The Compass is equipped with a 2.4-liter engine, delivering around 180 horsepower. It offers a 4×4 option, enhancing its off-road capabilities.
- Subaru Crosstrek: The Crosstrek comes with Subaru’s signature Boxer engine and standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, making it a strong performer both on and off the road.
Interior & Features
- Volkswagen Taos: The Taos offers a plush interior with advanced tech features like the IQ.DRIVE advanced driver assistance technology, a digital cockpit, and a modern infotainment system.
- Jeep Compass: The Compass provides a spacious interior with available features like a panoramic sunroof, Uconnect infotainment system, and premium materials.
- Subaru Crosstrek: Crosstrek’s interior is practical and comfortable, featuring Subaru’s Starlink multimedia system, ample cargo space, and advanced safety features.
- Volkswagen Taos: The Taos is equipped with a range of safety features including the IQ.DRIVE system, Automatic Post-Collision Braking System, and various driver assistance technologies.
- Jeep Compass: The Compass offers over 70 standard and available safety and security features, including adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, and lane departure warning.
- Subaru Crosstrek: Subaru’s emphasis on safety is evident in the Crosstrek with its EyeSight Driver Assist Technology, advanced airbag system, and sturdy construction.
Price & Value
- Volkswagen Taos: Positioned as a premium compact SUV, the Taos offers a blend of performance, features, and style at a competitive price point.
- Jeep Compass: The Compass is priced competitively, offering a blend of urban sophistication and off-road capabilities.
- Subaru Crosstrek: The Crosstrek offers great value for its price, especially considering its standard AWD and robust safety features.
All three vehicles offer unique strengths. While the Volkswagen Taos stands out for its modern design and advanced tech features, the Jeep Compass appeals to those looking for ruggedness combined with urban style. The Subaru Crosstrek, on the other hand, offers a balanced proposition with its performance and safety features. Potential buyers should consider their specific needs and preferences when choosing between these models.
The 2024 Taos emerges as a testament to Volkswagen’s commitment to innovation, safety, and driving excellence. From its advanced powertrain, and cutting-edge driver assistance technology, to its robust warranty offerings, the vehicle stands as a beacon of modern automotive design and functionality. Its place in the market, juxtaposed with worthy competitors like the Jeep Compass and Subaru Crosstrek, underscores Volkswagen’s dedication to meeting and exceeding driver expectations. As we’ve delved deep into the intricacies of what the Taos offers, it’s clear that this vehicle isn’t just another addition to the market; it’s a statement of intent, a vision of the future, and most importantly, a promise of an unparalleled driving experience. Whether you’re an automotive enthusiast, a potential buyer, or simply curious, the 2024 Taos beckons a closer look, promising not just a journey but an experience worth embarking upon.